• Investing
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Economy
The Significant Deals
Investing

’60 Minutes’ producer leaves show, citing a loss of journalistic independence

by April 23, 2025
written by April 23, 2025

The top producer at CBS’ “60 Minutes” announced Tuesday he would step down from the newsmagazine because he had lost his journalistic independence.  

“Over the past months, it has … become clear that I would not be allowed to run the show as I have always run it,” Bill Owens said in a memo to staff members, which was obtained by NBC News. “To make independent decisions based on what was right for ‘60 Minutes,’ right for the audience.” 

“So, having defended this show — and what we stand for — from every angle, over time with everything I could, I am stepping aside so the show can move forward,” Owens added.  

Owens’ departure comes during a tumultuous chapter for “60 Minutes.” President Donald Trump has sued CBS for $10 billion over an October interview with then-Vice President Kamala Harris that the president claims was deceptively edited. The network has denied that claim. 

Trump amended the lawsuit earlier this year, upping his damages claim to $20 billion.

“Former President Donald Trump’s repeated claims against ‘60 Minutes’ are false,” CBS News said in a statement in October. “The interview was not doctored” and the show “did not hide any part of Vice President Kamala Harris’s answer to the question at issue.”  

In a separate statement, “60 Minutes” said it gave an excerpt from its interview with Harris to the Sunday morning program “Face the Nation,” which used a longer section of the former Democratic presidential candidate’s answer to a question.

“Same question. Same answer. But a different portion of the response. When we edit any interview, whether a politician, an athlete, or movie star, we strive to be clear, accurate and on point,” the statement said. “The portion of her answer on 60 Minutes was more succinct, which allows time for other subjects in a wide ranging 21-minute-long segment.”  

Bill Owens, Executive Producer of 60 Minutes, CBS News, in Toronto on June 22, 2022.Piaras Ó Mídheach / Sportsfile via Getty Images file

Trump has repeatedly lambasted the venerable newsmagazine over its reporting on him and his administration.  

In a post on Truth Social on April 13, for example, Trump wrote: “Almost every week, 60 Minutes … mentions the name ‘TRUMP’ in a derogatory and defamatory way, but this Weekend’s ‘BROADCAST’ tops them all.” He appeared to take issue with segments about the war in Ukraine and his interest in acquiring Greenland.  

Trump added that he believed CBS should lose its broadcast license and “pay a big price.” He said he hoped Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr would “impose the maximum fines and punishment.”   

Owens’ exit, first reported by The New York Times, also comes at a pivotal moment for CBS’ parent company, Paramount. Shari Redstone, Paramount’s controlling shareholder, reportedly needs the Trump administration to approve her media conglomerate’s sale to Skydance Media, a production and finance company run by David Ellison, the son of tech mogul Larry Ellison. 

The New York Times reported in late January that Paramount was in settlement talks with Trump. The Times later reported that Owens told staff members he would not apologize for the Harris interview as part of any prospective settlement. NBC News has not independently verified either report. 

In his memo to staff, Owens said “60 Minutes” would “continue to cover the new administration, as we will report on future administrations. We will report from war zones, investigate injustices and educate our audience. In short, ‘60 Minutes’ will do what it has done for 57 years.”  

“Thank you all, remain focused on the moment, our audience deserves it,” Owens said in closing.  

Wendy McMahon, president and CEO of CBS News, notified company employees by email that Owens would be leaving and touted his work at the company.

“Tom and I are committed to 60 Minutes and to ensuring that the mission and the work remain our priority,” McMahon said, referring to CBS News president and executive editor Tom Cibrowski. 

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
RTX, GE Aerospace expect more than $1 billion tariff impact
next post
It’s Elon Musk’s turn for a ‘fork in the road’ as Tesla faces Wall Street scrutiny

You may also like

Retail panic: What the end of the ‘de...

August 29, 2025

Cracker Barrel rebrand: Why companies retreat when faced...

August 29, 2025

Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 28, 2025

AI detects sound of frog species threatened in...

August 28, 2025

Lego hits record revenue in first half of...

August 28, 2025

Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small...

August 28, 2025

Cracker Barrel will go back to old logo...

August 27, 2025

Frontier Airlines goes after struggling rival Spirit’s customers...

August 27, 2025

What a stake in Intel could mean for...

August 26, 2025
Fill Out & Get More Relevant News








    Stay ahead of the market and unlock exclusive trading insights & timely news. We value your privacy - your information is secure, and you can unsubscribe anytime. Gain an edge with hand-picked trading opportunities, stay informed with market-moving updates, and learn from expert tips & strategies.

    Recent Posts

    • Retail panic: What the end of the ‘de minimis’ exemption means for brands across the globe

      August 29, 2025
    • Cracker Barrel rebrand: Why companies retreat when faced with consumer criticism

      August 29, 2025
    • Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

      August 29, 2025
    • Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

      August 28, 2025

    Categories

    • Economy (245)
    • Editor's Pick (3,646)
    • Investing (625)
    • Stock (6,426)

    Latest News

    • Retail panic: What the end of the ‘de minimis’ exemption means for brands across the globe
    • Cracker Barrel rebrand: Why companies retreat when faced with consumer criticism

    Popular News

    • Exclusive – HSBC pulling back from China credit card business after struggling to expand, sources say
    • Pfizer ends global collaboration with Sangamo, shares drop 27%

    About The Significant deals

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Copyright © 2025 thesignificantdeals.com | All Rights Reserved

    The Significant Deals
    • Investing
    • Stock
    • Editor’s Pick
    • Economy