• Investing
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Economy
The Significant Deals
Stock

US House to vote to provide $3 billion to remove Chinese telecoms equipment

by December 8, 2024
written by December 8, 2024

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. House of Representatives is set to vote next week on an annual defense bill that includes just over $3 billion for U.S. telecom companies to remove equipment made by Chinese telecoms firms Huawei and ZTE (HK:0763) from American wireless networks to address security risks.

The 1,800-page text was released late Saturday and includes other provisions aimed at China, including requiring a report on Chinese efforts to evade U.S. national security regulations and an intelligence assessment of the current status of China’s biotechnology capabilities.

The Federal Communications Commission has said removing the insecure equipment is estimated to cost $4.98 billion but Congress previously only approved $1.9 billion for the “rip and replace” program.

Washington has aggressively urged U.S. allies to purge Huawei and other Chinese gear from their wireless networks.

FCC (BME:FCC) Chair Jessica Rosenworcel last week again called on the U.S. Congress to provide urgent additional funding, saying the program to replace equipment in the networks of 126 carriers faces a $3.08 billion shortfall “putting both our national security and the connectivity of rural consumers who depend on these networks at risk.”

She has warned the lack of funding could result in some rural networks shutting down, which “could eliminate the only provider in some regions” and could threaten 911 service.

Competitive Carriers Association CEO Tim Donovan on Saturday praised the announcement, saying “funding is desperately needed to fulfill the mandate to remove and replace covered equipment and services while maintaining connectivity for tens of millions of Americans.”

In 2019, Congress told the FCC to require U.S. telecoms carriers that receive federal subsidies to purge their networks of Chinese telecoms equipment. The White House in 2023 asked for $3.1 billion for the program.

Senate Commerce Committee chair Maria Cantwell said funding for the program and up to $500 million for regional tech hubs will be covered by funds generated from a one-time spectrum auction by the FCC for advanced wireless spectrum in the band known as AWS-3 to help meet rising spectrum demands of wireless consumers.

This post appeared first on investing.com
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
UniCredit says ready to sit down with Credit Agricole over Banco BPM
next post
Here’s what investors can expect from the ECB this week

You may also like

Adani, Ambani news units sue OpenAI over copyright,...

March 13, 2026

China’s DeepSeek sets off AI market rout

March 13, 2026

BASF results down on impairments, restructuring

March 13, 2026

Nasdaq futures tumble as China’s AI push rattles...

March 13, 2026

European chipmakers slump as traders gauge DeepSeek AI...

March 13, 2026

Fuji Media, rocked by sexual misconduct allegations, says...

March 13, 2026

China Vanke’s CEO, chairman resign amid growing liquidity...

March 13, 2026

Italy’s MPS shares fall ahead of Mediobanca board...

March 13, 2026

UMG shares rally after new multi-year pact with...

March 13, 2026

British Land stock drops following stake sale

March 13, 2026
Sign up and get the scoop before anyone else—fresh updates, and secret deals, all wrapped up just for you. We're talking juicy tips, fun surprises, and invites to events you actually want to go to. Don’t just watch from the sidelines—jump in and be part of the magic!








    By signing up, you're cool with getting emails from us. Don’t worry — your info stays safe, sound, and strictly confidential. No spam, no funny business. Just the good stuff.

    Recent Posts

    • Build-A-Bear recalls roughly 36,000 Heart-Warming Hugs Bears

      May 2, 2026
    • Thermos recalls 8.2 million bottles after stoppers eject, causing injury and reported vision loss

      May 2, 2026
    • The Onion’s bid to take over Alex Jones’ Infowars is in limbo as new court battles emerge

      May 2, 2026
    • Republican state attorneys general join lawsuit to stop $6.2B local TV merger

      May 1, 2026

    Categories

    • Economy (245)
    • Editor's Pick (3,646)
    • Investing (737)
    • Stock (6,426)

    Latest News

    • Build-A-Bear recalls roughly 36,000 Heart-Warming Hugs Bears
    • Thermos recalls 8.2 million bottles after stoppers eject, causing injury and reported vision loss

    Popular News

    • Cardinal Health raises full-year earnings forecast, driven by pharmaceutical segment
    • Australia stocks higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.57%

    About The Significant deals

    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Copyright © 2026 thesignificantdeals.com | All Rights Reserved

    The Significant Deals
    • Investing
    • Stock
    • Editor’s Pick
    • Economy